Did you know that just one severe sunburn during a child’s first fifteen years could double the chance of developing skin cancer as an adult?! This is a very scary thought, especially for those of us with children. However, the good news is skin cancer is 100% preventable if caught early! Protecting your skin during the first 18 years of life can reduce the risk of some types of skin cancer by up to 78%.
I will be the first to admit that growing up I didn’t think much about spending time in the sun without some sort of sunblock or sun protection. It wasn’t until I became more educated on the issue and had children of my own that it became a priority of mine to keep my family safe. That’s why I was thrilled when I came across UV Skinz.
UV Skinz was started after owner, Rhonda Sparks, lost her 32-year-old husband to melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. It was this experience and being left to raise their three young boys on her own that gave her the determination to help bring products to the market that can help families live sun safe, while never forgetting how important it is to LIVE and HAVE FUN outdoors!
We were sent the Long Sleeve Flutter Butterfly/Light Pink Swim Shirt and Light Pink Board Shorts for Kaelyn.
We’ve used other kids UV swim shirts in the past, so I had somewhat of an idea of what we’d be receiving. However, when the products arrived I was blown away! UV Skinz far exceeded any expectations I had.
I was very impressed with the quality of each item. I could tell right away that they were very well made and would last us many uses. I love the lightweight, breathable construction of their unique silky soft swim shirt design. Other shirts we’ve had in the past are thicker, but these are made to be lightweight, yet block out over 98% of the sun’s harmful rays. I could also tell that the elastane threading throughout allowed for more stretch as Kaelyn put it on.
I also love the soft material of the board shorts. They seem to be very comfortable for Kaelyn to wear….and best of all, the elastic waist and working drawstring help them to stay up. I really like the built-in liner too. Like with a swimsuit, this means there is no need to wear anything underneath which will be perfect when we use them in the water.
We have not had the chance to use our UV clothing in the water yet, as here in the Midwest it’s only just beginning to warm up. I can’t wait until we can though! We have however, already used them several times while playing outside.
Kaelyn likes them so much that she actually asks me if she can wear them when we go outside. The fact that UV Skinz has such a great selection of cute styles to choose from actually makes children want to ‘live in their skinz’. I read this on their site before we received the items, and found it to be very true statement with Kaelyn. She loves them! They’re adorable and best of all, I know that the 50+ UPF certified fabric on both items is helping to keep her skin more safe! I wondered at first if she would get hot in long sleeves, but the lightweight, breathable material of the shirt and shorts is great, even in warm weather.
- Large neck hole makes it easier to get on than other UV protective clothing we’ve used
- Comfortable fit is not restrictive. Kaelyn is able to move and play freely.
- Micro fiber blend material is made to dry quickly
- Flat-lock stitching means no irritating seams
- Chlorine Resistant
I’m extremely happy with the quality of the UV Skinz items we received, and would highly recommend them to others who are planning to be outdoors this summer! Whether you’re looking for something for yourself, or your child…they have it all! I am already looking for Kaden and would love to get him the Cameron Sky Blue/White UV Skinz shirt.
Also, you may remember me mentioning that May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. Since this is a subject especially near and dear to Rhonda’s heart, she is running a special promotion through this month to help spread the word about protecting your skin, as well as the skin of your family. UV Skinz is giving away a FREE baby swim shirt with every purchase during the month of May!
Win It: UV Skinz has generously offered one lucky reader any one UV Skinz item on the UV Skinz website of their choice!
Extra Entries: (only valid after the required entry has been completed)
1. For TWO extra entries, subscribe to A Mom’s Balancing Act via e-mail (easily found along the side column). Be sure to leave TWO comments so that both entries can be counted.
2. For FIVE extra entries, blog about this giveaway (linking to this post and UV Skinz) and leave me FIVE comments with the URL to that post.
3. Post my blog button or blog URL to your blog and leave a comment with the URL to your blog. (If it already is, leave me a comment letting me know)
4. For THREE extra entries, Grab my ‘Gearing Up For Summer’ event button and leave a comment with the URL where it can be found.
5. For TWO extra entries, Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway (Tweet once a day for an extra entry every day)! You can copy and paste: Gear up for summer and be sun safe! WIN a @UVSkinz item of choice @MomBalancingAct http://tinyurl.com/2d36pnx Ends 6/10 RT PLS!
6. Follow UV Skinz on Twitter
7. Become a Fan/Like A Mom’s Balancing Act on Facebook
8. Share about this giveaway on Facebook Share
9. Become a Fan/Like UV Skinz on Facebook
10. Sign up for the UV Skinz Newsletter
11. Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect
12. Enter any of my other current giveaways. Leave me a comment on which one(s)….ONE entry for EACH giveaway you enter!!
This giveaway will end June 10th and is open to the US and Canada!
**The products for this review and giveaway were provided at no cost by UV Skinz. This was not a paid post and my honest opinions have been given. The experiences and opinions of others may differ from my own.**