I remember registering for baby gifts when I was pregnant with Kaelyn and feeling overwhelmed with all the choices. As a first time parent I had no idea what to look for in a play mat or which swing and bouncy seat would help soothe her best. Now, having had two babies, I've learned there are many products out there, but when it came right down to it, nothing soothed my babies better when they were little than being bounced and swayed in my arms. That's where 4moms comes in.
4moms is a small company named after 5 real life moms (they thought 4moms sounded better than 5moms) who have 15 children between them! They were 4moms' original focus group and ever since their first meeting, they’ve contributed their insights and expertise to the products 4moms creates. Along with a team of others...including graphic designers, web developers, business professionals, engineers and roboticists....they design and build innovative products that make life easier and more enjoyable for both babies and parents.
One of 4moms' most recent products to launch was the mamaRoo! Their team actually used motion sensors to measure movements of real moms and dads as they soothed their babies. They found that parents don't vibrate like bouncy seats or swing like baby swings. They bounce and sway which is often the most soothing thing for a fussy baby. That's what makes the mamaRoo so great...it actually moves 'like you do'. This is exactly what I needed those first 6 months with both my babies!
I am a huge fan of 4moms, and as you may remember, was fortunate enough to win one of their giveaways for their Cleanwater Infant Tub. We are beyond thrilled with the quality and the thought that went into creating such a great product...which is why I was very excited to learn that we were going to have the opportunity to review the mamaRoo in red/charcoal!
- Easy assembly
- 5 unique motions that move like you do
- 5 speeds for rest or play
- Machine washable fabric
- Reclines to any position along its axis
- 3 plush toy balls that easily pop in and out so baby can play with/chew on/and study them
- Plugs in
- 5 built-in nature sounds
- Ability to plug in any MP3 player
As I opened the box I found there were much fewer pieces to be assembled than I had expected and best of all...only one screw. 4moms definitely had the busy parent in mind when creating the mamaRoo's quick and easy setup! In a few easy steps, I had the mamaRoo put together and ready to test out.
1. Slide the center support tube through the base and tighten front end cap with the screw.
2. Snap each seat side rail into place.
3. Zip on the fabric seat
4. Attach the toy bar
5. Plug In (YAY for no batteries!)
The mamaRoo is suitable for children up to 25 lbs and for those who are not yet sitting up on their own for safety reasons. Kaden is under 25 lbs, but has been sitting up on his own for quite some time now. We still wanted to be sure and give it a true test though and have been able to use it with our undivided supervision (since he likes to try and sit up in it) several times since receiving it. I wasn't sure how he'd like it, but he loves it!
The toy bar with the 3 soft balls is probably his favorite part. Not only are they removable and fun for him to play with, but they are also reversible having different colors on each side. For younger babies, there is black and white...and for babies around 4 months+ there is a side with colors. Love it!
When I first got it set up and buckled Kaden in, I was immediately impressed with the seat. It not only seemed very comfortable for him, but I love the shape and the fact that it almost hugs him. It's cozy and I'm sure helps give babies a sense of comfort and security. Other benefits of the seat is the fact that it can easily be removed and washed. It also reclines to any position along its axis. By simply sliding the seat to a desired position and re-locking the seat recline switch...you're baby is ready to move!
This is definitely not your ordinary bouncy seat or swing. It offers 5 unique motions that bounce up and down and sway from side to side...just like parents do when comforting our babies. Using the LCD Display and the Motion Toggle Button, I was able to easily find a motion that Kaden enjoyed. He really enjoys them all, but his favorite is the car ride. He smiles from ear to ear every time! Be sure to check out the video here to see each motion in action.
I always appreciate a product that offers adjustable speeds. There are times when slow is nice, but also times when a little bit faster works well too. When it came to creating the mamaRoo, Medical experts pushed for speeds that would really stimulate a baby's inner ear and then there were some 4moms who preferred slower movements. To provide a little something for both sleep and play, the mamaRoo was built with 5 different speeds that can be adjusted using the Speed Toggle Button. It makes it easy to find which is right for your baby.
I knew just from seeing pictures online, that the mamaRoo was going to be one of the most technologically advanced and innovative baby products we have used so far, but did not know to what extent until we were actually able to test it out. To put it simply...I was amazed! I knew the LCD screen would be great, but didn't realize how easy it would make finding the right speed and motion.
I also didn't realize how much we would like the option of being able to hook up an MP3 player using the included cable to play the music of our choice! How cool is that?! This is yet another feature that sets the mamaRoo apart from other products out there. There are 5 built-in nature sounds, however, being able to use an MP3 player means you are not limited those if you want something different. I can't tell you how many times I've wished that our baby swings and bouncers had more options than the few that they offer.
This product would have been wonderful to have, especially in the beginning when Kaden was just a newborn. He went through a time when he was quite fussy for a few hours every night between 7 and 10...and holding him while we swayed back and forth was the only thing that calmed him down. I can't wait to be able to use the mamaRoo with our next baby when the time comes!
We are VERY impressed with the mamaRoo and love all the options it provides. It was definitely created with both parent and baby in mind which is what I look for when it comes to baby gear. It's so easy to use and gives you choices so you can find the perfect way to soothe your baby each and every time. I would highly recommend it to parents with young babies.
Buy It: The mamaRoo retails for $199 at several retail locations and online stores. A list of where to purchase can be found here.
Win It: Thanks to 4moms, one very lucky reader is going to win a mamaRoo in the color of their choice (excluding black)!
Extra Entries: (Optional and only valid after the mandatory entry has been completed. Leave 1 comment for each extra entry)
1. 1 extra entry- Visit 4moms and leave a comment letting me know which color mamaRoo you'd choose if you won (Red, Pink, Orange, Silver or Green).
2. 2 extra entries- subscribe to A Mom's Balancing Act via e-mail (found along the side column) and leave TWO comments letting me know.
3. 5 extra entries- blog about this giveaway (linking to this post and 4moms) and leave FIVE comments with the URL to that post.
4. 3 extra entries- Grab my 'Gearing Up For Summer' event button and leave THREE comments with the URL to your blog.
5. 2 extra entries- Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway (You can tweet once a day for an extra entry every day)! You can copy and paste:
#Win a mamaRoo in the color of your choice from @4moms (ARV $199!) #momsbalancingact http://tinyurl.com/26n6vb3 Ends 8/17 RT PLS!
6. 1 extra entry- Follow 4moms on Twitter
7. 1 extra entry- Post my blog button or blog URL to your blog and leave a comment with the URL to your blog. (If it already is, leave me a comment letting me know)
8. 1 extra entry- Become a Fan/Like A Mom's Balancing Act on Facebook
9. 1 extra entry- Become a Fan/Like 4moms on Facebook
10. 1 extra entry- Share about this giveaway on Facebook (when sharing, please include @A Mom's Balancing Act so I can easily verify) Share
11. 1 extra entry- Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect
12. 1 extra entry- Sign up as a 4moms Insider
13. Enter any of my other current giveaways. Leave me a comment on which one(s)....ONE entry for EACH giveaway you enter!!
This giveaway will end August 17th and is open to the continental US Only (no PO Boxes)