School may be out for the summer, but that doesn’t mean reading has to stop or that it can’t be fun! Getting kids involved and making it fun is a great way to encourage reading…especially during the summer. The following are some ideas/tips I have learned over the years as a parent and teacher…
- Rotate books often. – Having been a preschool teacher, I have accumulated a lot of children’s books over the years. Instead of putting them ALL out, I put out some of them and change them out with new ones frequently. This gives Kaelyn new and exciting stories to explore which helps encourage her to read more.
- Read to younger siblings. – There are times when Kaelyn seems to be looking for something to do, and I’ll suggest that she pick out a book and read it to Kaden. Although she is only 2 1/2 years old and not actually ‘reading’ yet, she does a great job with using the pictures to guide her. She and her brother both love this!
- Offer a quiet and comfortable place to read. – For children to get the most out of reading, it’s important that they have a quiet and comfortable place to sit down and read. Kaelyn has a special little chair she loves to sit in. In my classroom I would do things like set up tents, put pillows out, etc.
- Take children to the library. – Taking your kids to the library and letting them pick out a few books is another great way to encourage reading. They’re able to pick out books on their own and find the ones that interest them most.
- Offer a variety of reading materials. – Aside from books, we also have children’s magazines that Kaelyn loves to read as well.
These are just a few of the many things we’ve done to help encourage Kaelyn to read this summer. One of our newest favorites is the VTech V.Reader! If you missed last week’s post, be sure to check it out for more information on this amazing little device for children. It’s a fantastic way to promote reading and make it fun at the same time. Last week I included several pictures of how easy it is to use, and this week wanted to share a short video clip of it in use so you could get an even better idea.
Win It: VTech is offering another VERY lucky reader a V.Reader in the color of their choice (Pink or Blue) and a game to go along with it!! (Just a note: This will be a VERY short giveaway…ending THIS Friday July 23rd, so be sure to get your entries in as soon as possible!)
Extra Entries: (Only valid after the mandatory entry has been completed. Leave 1 comment for each extra entry you choose to do)
1. 2 extra entries- subscribe to A Mom’s Balancing Act via e-mail (found along the side column) and leave TWO comments letting me know.
2. 5 extra entries- blog about this giveaway (linking to this post and VTechKids.com) and leave FIVE comments with the URL to that post.
3. 3 extra entries- Grab my ‘Gearing Up For Summer’ event button and leave THREE comments with the URL to your blog.
4. 2 extra entries- Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway (You can tweet once a day for an extra entry every day)! You can copy and paste:
5. 1 extra entry- Follow VTech Toys on Twitter
6. 1 extra entry- Post my blog button or blog URL to your blog and leave a comment with the URL to your blog. (If it already is, leave me a comment letting me know)
7. 1 extra entry- Become a Fan/Like A Mom’s Balancing Act on Facebook
8. 1 extra entry- Become a Fan/Like VTech Toys on Facebook
9. 1 extra entry- Share about this giveaway on Facebook (be sure to include @A Mom’s Balancing Act when you share so I can easily verify. Thanks!) Share
10. 1 extra entry- Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect
11. Enter any of my other current giveaways. Leave me a comment on which one(s)….ONE entry for EACH giveaway you enter!!
This giveaway will end JULY 23rd and is open to the US Only